Glenn Walker: From cutting line to unhooking a fish, an angler needs to have the correct tools in their boat so that they can take care of any situation that they may face when on the water. Here is a look five key fishing related tools that I have in my boat at all times.
- Side Cutter: this tool is important to have, from cutting a hook that hooked a bass deep or if it would happen, cutting a hook it becomes lodged in you or fishing partner’s hand, etc. This cutting tool also comes in handy if you need to do any work on wire baits, such as a spinnerbait or buzzbait.
- Knife: I keep a Buck Knives Vantage Force in my tackle compartment, so I’m prepared for any scenario may arise where I need to cut something. This could be rope, a strap or who knows what else. I rather be prepared on the water than not.
- Splizzors: this new tool from Buck Knives has allowed me to replace a scissors and pliers in my tool arsenal. What makes the scissors portion of the Splizzors so unique is that it can cut braided line like no other, no longer do you have to battle with cutting braided line, just a quick snip and you are back to fishing.
- Hook Sharpener: When fishing a Texas, Carolina or drop shot rig, I like to use a fresh hook anytime I’m in a tournament scenario. But when prefishing, using a wire bait or crankbait, I’ll keep an eye on the sharpness of my hook and if need be give it a quick once over with a Buck Knives EdgeTek Fishing FlipStik. This sharpener is compact and with a few quick swipes your hook is sharp again!
- Baitcast pick: this small pick that anglers can acquire from their dental office is a great tool to help take care of those nasty back lashes that may happen from time to time. Other uses that I have found for this pick is clearing the “pee hole” on my outboard if it becomes clogged with sand or a small piece of vegetation or clearing the paint out of the eye of your jig.
Glenn has been fishing tournaments for over ten years, spreading his passion and knowledge of the sport via articles and videos. He keeps busy fishing events across Minnesota and on the Mississippi River. Glenn’s sponsors include: Bass Boat Technologies, Ducky Products, Humminbird, Mercury Marine, Minn Kota, Plano, Rayjus, Seaguar, Simms, Snag Proof, The Rod Glove, TroKar, War Eagle Custom Lures, Witch Doctor Tackle, Wright & McGill and Zoom Baits. For more information check out glennwalkerfishing.com or on Facebook at facebook.com/glennwalkerfishing.